- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sour cream (or substitute greek yogurt)
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and put cupcake liners in muffin tins.
- In a medium bowl whisk cake mix, cocoa powder and baking powder. In a second larger bowl, combine vegetable oil, eggs, buttermilk, sour cream (or greek yogurt), and vanilla and mix well. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk until mostly smooth (a few little lumps are okay). Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- While cupcakes are cooling prepare the frosting. In a medium bowl cream butter, cream cheese and brown sugar for 2-3 minutes until very fluffy. Add flour and salt and mix well. Add vanilla and powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each. Use milk 1 tablespoon at a time if need to thin to desired consistency. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread frosting on cooled cupcakes.
Note: this is a Pinterest recipe.