Tuesday, August 19, 2008

More Chickens

We decided to expand the chicken run and get more chickens. We had 10 chickens and on average we got 7 eggs a day. Yesterday we got 7 more chickens (ones that lay blue-green colored eggs) so we hope to have at least a dozen eggs a day. This will allow me to do some egg casseroles and things that I have been wanting to do but haven't had enough eggs because we keep selling them. We have several regular customers who pick up eggs every week.
To celebrate I made an egg casserole and it was delicious. I got the recipe from The Pioneer Woman

Sleepin’ in Omelette
6 onion rolls
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 1/2 sticks butter
8 ounce package cream cheese
10 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
dash of cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chopped chives

Generously butter 9 x 13 baking dish. Tear onion rolls into chunks. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, then tear cream cheese into small piece and place over the top. Cut 1 1/2 sticks butter into pats and place over the top. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over the top of the dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.The next morning, bake at 325 degrees, covered, for 45 minutes. Then remove foil and continue baking at 350 for 10-15 minutes

Note: I only made a half batch for me and Mike but I didn't even use a half stick of butter and I think it turned out just fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to try that recipe. It sounds yummy!

Hugs!

Spreading the Word & Chickens Everywhere

  Sorry this post is late but better late than never.   Last year we decided to reach out to one of the missionaries we support when it cam...