Saturday, February 21, 2015

Two Thumbs Up!!

For our second Singles Fellowship we were asked to bring some snack type food.  Well I got the message late in the day and there really wasn't much time to buy any ingredients for anything special so I decided to look up how to make brownies from scratch.  Do you know that I have never made brownies from scratch.  I have always made them from a box…can you believe it?

Well, I went on Pinterest (my new best friend :-) which I told all my widow friends about and they are now totally addicted also) and I found this post.  Who can resist fudgy homemade brownies from scratch?  I had all the ingredients so I made it.  I am proud to say I didn't eat any (huge accomplishment for me) but I do want to keep the recipe because everyone loved them.

Funny thing is one of the guys asked me "What is in these brownies?  I am a brownie connoisseur and I have never tasted any brownies this good."  I started telling him the ingredients: cocoa powder, flour, sugar, and someone interrupted me and says "You mean you made these from scratch?"

I am going to enjoy baking for this group because they will be happy with anything :-) and one of the guys is a firefighter and he is willing to take the leftovers to the fire stations for his coworkers to enjoy.

It's a win, win situation for me.  I love baking but I just can't eat food like that.

Perfect Fudgy Homemade Brownies, From Scratch

Ingredients:
3/4 cup dutch-processed cocoa powder (I just used regular cocoa powder)
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup butter, melted & divided (1/3 cup + 1/3 cup)
1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 cup flour
2 cups chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9X13 baking dish and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cocoa powder and baking soda.  Stir in 1/3 cup of the melted butter until smooth.  Stir in the boiling water until the mixture is smooth and thick.

Stir in the sugar and eggs with the remaining 1/3 cup melted butter.  Stir in the vanilla and salt until just smooth.

Dump in the flour and chocolate chips at the same time, and stir until just combined.

Spread the batter into your prepared baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the edges start to pull away from the pan.  (Always better to under-bake than to over-bake brownies!)

Cool completely in the pan.

No comments:

Spreading the Word & Chickens Everywhere

  Sorry this post is late but better late than never.   Last year we decided to reach out to one of the missionaries we support when it cam...