Thursday, October 16, 2008

Fireproof Your Marriage

One thing I admired of Alex Kendrick who made the movie Facing the Giants was that he didn't kiss the actress who played his wife in the movie. When I heard that the same people who made Facing the Giants were making a new movie called Fireproof, I was so excited.

I went and watched the movie the weekend it came out and I thought it was a great movie except for one scene at the end that really bothered me where Kirk Cameron kissed the actress who played his wife in the movie. I was so bummed because to me that made it like any other Hollywood movie.

Well the other day I was talking to someone about the movie and how disappointed I was in that scene and guess what they told me...Kirk Cameron actually kissed his real wife.

I went to the Fireproof website to verify and sure enough here is what I found in the Q&A section. I was so happy and relieved.

Q: What’s the deal with the kiss between Caleb and Catherine in FIREPROOF?

A: In a romantic scene in FIREPROOF, lead actor Kirk Cameron is actually kissing his wife Chelsea rather than Erin Bethea, who plays Catherine. Chelsea was flown in from Los Angeles just for that shot. The scene was filmed in silhouette and works incredibly well, with Chelsea wearing the same outfit and a wig to mirror Erin. Sherwood Pictures has upheld this standard in all their movies: actors and actresses should guard their own marriages while on screen the same way they would do in real life. That’s why you don’t see Coach Taylor (Facing the Giants) or Jay Austin (Flywheel) kissing the women playing the on-screen wives.Kirk also has long held to a principle that he would kiss no woman other than Chelsea. He was able to honor his marriage while making a movie that inspires others to do the same.

If you haven't gone to see Fireproof yet, you really need to go.

4 comments:

Kim said...

We've had several people tell us how good the movie is and how much they enjoyed it. We'll look forward to watching it once it's out on DVD :-)

Mike and Elizabeth Williams said...

Elizabeth and I really enjoyed this movie -- and yes, I will admit (being a guy) bring the tissues ....

Love,
Mike

Anonymous said...

We can't wait to see it!

Hugs!

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

Rebecca... you will have to let me know how you like it... that is once you and Tim watch it.

Spreading the Word & Chickens Everywhere

  Sorry this post is late but better late than never.   Last year we decided to reach out to one of the missionaries we support when it cam...