Friday, June 20, 2008

Frugal Friday

I am sure I am not the first one to come up with this idea but I wanted to share it in case I could help others save money.

I am not much for reusing Ziploc bags especially after using them with raw meat. However I realize that Ziploc bags can get expensive if I use them and then throw them out.

A few weeks ago after a trip to Sam's Club we came home with some large packages of ground meat that were reduced for quick sale. I divided them up into 1.5 lb chunks. Instead of using a different bag for each chunk of meat I decided to put them all in one Ziploc bag but keep them separated so that when they freeze I can just take one chunk out at a time.

Hope everyone is having a happy Friday!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great idea on the bulk meat! Thanks for sharing!

Hugs!

profg said...

I use either my freezermates from
Tupperware or the glad disposable containers (at least 4 times) for my meats. Yes, I do re-use my bags I use for bread- just wash out with some soap and water- try to do this 3 or 4 times each bag! I also only put my ground beef in 1lb sections to stretch the meat a bit! : )
Nancy

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

I never thought of using containers... that would be perfect... I can throw them in the dishwasher and then I would know they were good and clean. I will have to start doing that.

Anonymous said...

I too use the baggie method, but will sometimes wrap the larger quantities in saran wrap and then put more than 1 in a bag. I've done containers, but that can be an initial cost....
kvicker at hotmail dot com

Spreading the Word & Chickens Everywhere

  Sorry this post is late but better late than never.   Last year we decided to reach out to one of the missionaries we support when it cam...