Friday, November 14, 2008

Cathy Marie Hake

Have you ever read any books by Cathy Marie Hake? If you haven't and you love to read, I would suggest starting with Letter Perfect. My sister Kathy started reading her books and then let me borrow some and I must say I think she is my favorite. (author that is, although Kathy is my favorite sister but she is my one and one sister)

I have always had a hard time reading so I never enjoyed it until recently. Although I am a slow reader I can get these books done in 2 or 3 days. Someone like my Mom or sister could read them in a day.

I have already read Letter Perfect, Bittersweet and Whirlwind, looking forward to reading Fancy Pants and Forevermore next.

Here is a little section from Letter Perfect that I thought was great and I wanted to share it with all those single young ladies out there who are longing to find a good Christian man.

"Marriage is like bread." Mrs. O'Sullivan walked over to a crock and pinched out a wad of starter to make her loaf. "You can have the right ingredients, but if you don't work it right and give it time, it falls flat. Starter, it's like the soul of bread. You lasses need to be sure your men have hearts for the Almighty so as your days and family multiply, your spirit grows along with it. Starter has to be refreshed-if you don't, nothing else you try will make the difference."
Ruth and Laney watched as she went back to the table and put the starter into a huge, brown earthenware bowl. She tossed in several cups of flour and some water. "Man and woman blend together to become one, but something's still missing."
She added salt and stirred. "Love. If you rush to the altar, you can mistake infatuation for love." She stirred more, then dumped the dough onto the floured tabletop and started to knead it. "Life'll push you around, punch you down. Without spiritual leavening, you can't rise up again. Without love, life loses its flavor. Many couples have respect and honor, but I pity them for the lack of love."
"If a bride loves the groom, won't that season the marriage?" Laney watched as Mrs. O'Sullivan continued to knead the dough.
"It didn't work for Leah in the Bible," Rush said.
"That's right. It didn't, and she was miserable. You lasses give God time to bring the right man to you. I'm not hurrying my bread into the oven. It has to have time to rest and grow. Same goes for love-you need time to court and go through some ups and downs."

Let me know your thoughts if you have read any of her books.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

I love reading her books. You should also read Karen Kingsbury. She is good as well. Continue reading it is good for you!

Anonymous said...

I'll be checking with our library this week to see if they have any of her books. I've been looking for something new to read. Thanks for the heads up!

Hugs!

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

I did read one of Karen Kingsbury's books... it was good... I guess I need to borrow some more from you Kathy or Mom and get to reading.

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

Rebecca - You will have to let me know what you think of her book after you have read it.

Lorie said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I am always looking for a good book.

Anonymous said...

She is my favorite author too! I loved Letter Perfect and Bittersweet! I think I will have to read Whirlwind and Fancy Pants.

Spreading the Word & Chickens Everywhere

  Sorry this post is late but better late than never.   Last year we decided to reach out to one of the missionaries we support when it cam...