Friday, April 17, 2009

Restoring Order ~ Food

I really love to read Monica's blog The Homespun Heart; she has such a desire to honor God in all she does. She and her friend Rebecca at That's What It's All About have challenged me to restore order in my home and life.

For the first project I decided to tackle food. It was time to clean out the fridge, freezer and canned goods. It's not that things were a huge mess, for me it was more of an issue of knowing what I had on hand. I like buying items on sale and stocking up but I wouldn't be a wise steward of my money if I had to continually throw away food because it went bad or was out of date.
I tackled my basement shelf first. I had some garbanzo bean cans and other items that were collecting alot of dust. I decided to reorganize the shelf according to expiration date of the item. This way I know what items I need to use first; I can then go find a recipe to use these specific items.
Somehow I missed taking a before picture of my shelf but this is the after picture with everything organized according to date.This is the first shelf of my basement food and these are the items I need to use within the next few weeks.
Fridge (before)Freezer (before)Fridge/Freezer (after)
To the naked eye you may not notice much of a difference but believe me there is a huge difference. I feel so much better knowing what is in my fridge, freezer and pantry shelf.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Well Done! I think this is going to be my next project. It does feel so good to know exactly what you have on hand.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Anna said...

Good job on getting your food organized. My fridge/freezer and pantry could use some reorganization.

Jen said...

I agree with you about how others may not notice the "changes" we did in cleaning out the fridge except for us. I did the same thing a little while ago and posted the before and after pictures but my family said they couldn't see any changes from the pictures - not sure if it is good or bad? :)

Spreading the Word & Chickens Everywhere

  Sorry this post is late but better late than never.   Last year we decided to reach out to one of the missionaries we support when it cam...