Friday, May 30, 2008

Flour Tortillas

I was looking through all these delicious recipes from My Wooden Spoon and I decided to make her flour tortillas. I only made a half batch and that gave me 10 tortillas. They were delicious. Better than any store tortilla I have ever had. What I also really enjoyed was that they didn't crumble. So often the store ones end up cracking and falling apart when you try to use them. I will definitely make these again.

Lori does a great job showing step by step with pictures. Check out her blog and try some of her recipes.

Flour Tortillas - Thanks Lori for sharing your recipe

4 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. shortening
1-2 cups of HOT water

1. Get the griddle going before you start this part so it will be nice and hot. Sift all dry ingredients together and add shortening. Mix thoroughly. (just like you were making a pie crust.)
2. Add hot water. Obviously you don’t want to burn yourself but the hotter you can stand it, the easier your tortilla dough will be to work with.
3. Knead until soft, smooth dough is formed.
4. Pinch off dough (a little less than the size of a golf-ball) and form into a rounded biscuit looking thing.
5. Dip into flour and roll out.
6. Cook on your tortilla griddle. When you see the bubbles NOT coming up, that’s when you flip or take off.
7. Throw them in your tortilla keeper and enjoy

No comments:

Spreading the Word & Chickens Everywhere

  Sorry this post is late but better late than never.   Last year we decided to reach out to one of the missionaries we support when it cam...