Monday, May 12, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all you Mothers out there.

We had my family over on Saturday. I wanted to make a nice meal for my Mom. She is always the one cooking for everyone and I wanted to give her a break.

Mike grilled steak, chicken and onions and it was so delicious.
I made rosemary potatoes, Chinese slaw, broccoli bake and we ended the day with an ice cream cake. My brothers birthdays are in May so we celebrated that also.

It was a beautiful day. They got to see the chickens and we got to play Pass the Pigs and Sequence.
Family time is always so special. The older I get the more I appreciate it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated to include Recipes

Broccoli Bake
1 large bag of frozen broccoli
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1 can Cream of Mushroom or Celery Soup
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Topping
1 sleeve of Ritz crackers (crushed)
1 stick of butter (melted)

Mix first 4 ingredients together. Pour in casserole dish. In a separate bowl mix crushed Ritz crackers and melted butter together. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until cheese is melted throughout.

------------------------
Chinese Slaw - Thanks to Mrs Gray for sharing her recipe with me
Cabbage - 1 large pkg.
Green onion - 1/2 to 3/4 cup
1 cup Sliced Almonds (browned)
Roman noodles on slaw (crunched up)
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup vinegar
4 Tbsp. soy sauce

Boil sugar, oil, vinegar, and soy sauce together and cool. Toss with cabbage, green onion, almonds, and Roman noodles before serving.

5 comments:

Christie said...

Wow Elizabeth! That sounds scrumptious! :) I bet you all had lots of fun! I still have to get Pass the Pigs... we really enjoyed playing that with you guys!

Anonymous said...

you don't play hand and foot anymore?

Anonymous said...

Could you pass on the Chinese slaw recipe? It all sounds so delicious. I'm glad to hear you had a great day with your family!

Hugs!

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

We could never find Pass the Pigs at any store so I actually bought it off Amazon.

We do still play hand and foot but that is a much longer game and Rachel can't play that game yet. She has fun throwing the pigs and does pretty good with Sequence.

I guess I could have added the recipe to my post :-)

Here is the recipe that was shared with me. I actually doubles the dressing to make sure I had enough.

Chinese Slaw

~ Cabbage - 1 large pkg.
~ Green onion - 1/2 to 3/4 cup
~ 1 cup Sliced Almonds (browned)

~ Roman noodles on slaw (crunched up)

~ 1/2 cup sugar
~ 1/3 cup oil
~ 1/4 cup vinegar
~ 4 Tbsp. soy sauce

Boil sugar, oil, vinegar, and soy sauce together and cool. Toss with cabbage, green onion, almonds, and Roman noodles before serving.

Anonymous said...

I love Chinese Slaw!! I've been looking for the recipe for it, too. Thanks!
kvicker at hotmail dot com

Spreading the Word & Chickens Everywhere

  Sorry this post is late but better late than never.   Last year we decided to reach out to one of the missionaries we support when it cam...