Thursday, December 4, 2008

It's beginning to look alot like Christmas

Today is baking day for me and boy does it smell good in this little house. I haven't made bread in a while and these actually turned out great today. I hope they taste as good as they look.

I started the day by making Mike's favorite Christmas cookie ~ Meatball cookies. It's a very unique type of cookie and very hard for me to describe. I will share the recipe but it comes with a warning to try at your own risk. Seriously, if you try them please come back and share your thoughts. I make them each year at Christmas time just for Mike because I don't like them.

Here is everything you needStir it all together with your hands and then slowly add in the milk.
Make them into balls. I tend to always make them bigger than what the recipe says.After they are done baking, you roll them in powdered sugar and here is the end result.


Meatball Cookies

1 cup and 2 Tbsp shortening
8 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
4 1/2 Tbsp cocoa
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp clove
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 bag chocolate chips
2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla

Melt shortening and let cool. Mix all ingredients (except milk and vanilla) together with shortening. Add milk slowly - mix well with hands.
Roll into quarter size balls. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool slightly but while balls are still warm, roll in powdered sugar.

Yield: 90 cookies

Note: I normally only make half a batch.

5 comments:

Christie said...

Mmmm... those look yummy! Isn't it nice to have a bakery-fresh smelling house on such a cold rainy day??

Mike and Elizabeth Williams said...

Elizabeth~

Thank you so much for making these cookies. It's not Christmas until I can eat some meatball cookies.

I Love You!
Mike

riTa Koch said...

Wonderful loaves of bread and such a clean oven!

the voice of melody said...

Your loaves look so good! My mom used to make her own bread, and I remember how delicious it was, right out of the oven with a little butter on it. Yum....

I don't blame you for baking only half a batch of your cookies. Wow, 90 cookies, now that's some serious baking!

Lhoyt said...

Too bad you don't have your "smellavision" connected. I can almost smell that bread!!!
As for "pfeffernuesse" cookies, they are an acquired taste

Spreading the Word & Chickens Everywhere

  Sorry this post is late but better late than never.   Last year we decided to reach out to one of the missionaries we support when it cam...