Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Aprons

My friend Elaine sent me this in an email and I just had to share it with all of you. I don't know about you, but I don't think anyone can have too many aprons. I love my aprons!

The History of Aprons

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath,because she only had a few,it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and they used less material, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables.

After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the menfolks knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.

3 comments:

Darla said...

i love this! i love my aprons and some people just don't get why...i am happy to meet someone else who loves theirs. thanks for sharing this. :D

riTa Koch said...

It was fun Christmas '08 when Kayla and I made aprons for each and every member of the family and more! They can be used for pottery too. I saw a video of a woman potter wearing one of the same pattern we used! I know sometimes I forget to wear mine when cooking something messy, and always regret it after. But we have gotten used to working without aprons. Must re educate ourselves. Revive apronology!

Kathy said...

I love this post! It reminds me of my gandmother so much--I remember her wearing those aprons every day--and using them for all sorts of things, just like the post says. I have a few aprons myself, but forget to wear them most of the time--and my clothes show it. LOL

I hopped over to check out your blog after you left me a comment on my Random Dozen post. I'm a newbie this week. I've had so much fun, and met the greatest people! Thanks for leaving a comment.

Have a great day! Blessings from GA Kathy(Reflections...by Kathy)

Spreading the Word & Chickens Everywhere

  Sorry this post is late but better late than never.   Last year we decided to reach out to one of the missionaries we support when it cam...