Sunday, December 13, 2009

Project 365 ~ Week 50

Chickens, chickens, all week long. Poor Mike spent many hours outside this week for several reasons.

1) I can't walk up and down the stairs yet (because of the surgery) and I can't lift anything real heavy (like the bucket full of water)
2) the water has been freezing overnight so every morning he has to go out and break up the ice and give them more water.
3) we are getting ready to head down to South Florida this coming week and he wanted to clean up the hen house and lay some more fresh straw out for them.

I snapped this picture and then when I uploaded it, I realized there are two chickens on the top of the gate. Funny thing is we have 6 or 7 hens who sleep perched on top of the gate under the tarp. Goofy chickens really because we extended the hen house for them and then they don't even use it. I had some visitors this week which was a nice change for me. I have been doing my best to not do too much but it's really hard. Sometimes I don't even realize I shouldn't do something until I do it. Anyway - the time spent just sitting and talking was wonderful! Thanks again Elaine and Teresa for visiting me and thanks Elaine for the poinsettia.
I finished all 80+ Christmas cards...stamped, cut, taped, written in, stuffed, licked, stamped and mailed! I wish I would have taken a Christmas picture before my surgery so we could have included them in the cards because I love receiving Christmas pictures from others so I try to always include a picture in our card each year. Well this year it just didn't happen. Sorry!
Mike took me out to a lovely restaurant for date night. The meal was excellent but time with my wonderful husband was the best part of it all. Because of the water freezing issues we are having, we decided to buy a waterer with a built in warmer that will keep the water from freezing. Since we didn't want to buy two of them, we decided to put Dumplin' and Crispy in the run with the rest of the chickens. They are smaller than the others and normally we would have kept them separated for a longer period of time but this was just simpler all around. They survived their first day combined although we did see the older chickens gang up on poor Dumplin' and Crispy. Hopefully they will settle there ranking soon and all start getting along better.
Because our big area is open and not fenced on the top we wanted to make sure to clip their wings so they couldn't fly away. The above picture is Crispy and the one below is Dumplin'
Feathers all clipped and ready to join the others... ready or not... here we go!
Two more weeks left that will close our year and our Project 365... however, good news is Sara has decided to continue this for next year and I am really excited about that! Be sure to check out Sara's blog and all the other Project 365 participants!

7 comments:

sara said...

Glad you are slowly feeling better!!!

we had one of those water warming bowls for our dogs when we lived in IN. They work great!!!

I hope your two little hens fair ok with the others....I can visualize where the term "hen pecked" came from!!!

your cards are beautiful!!!

are you going to FL for a visit? Nice to get to some warmer weather!!

Merry Christmas!

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

Sara - Yes my husbands family lives in Port St Lucie so we are flying down for a visit.

EstarellasFamily said...

We are so looking forward to your visit. We have some record high temps though this week 86'. Supposed to get a cool front I think Thurs/Friday....but that will only drop it about 10' or so.
See you soon!

riTa Koch said...

Do you eat 'pollo' all year round or only 'huevos'?
¡Cuántas gallinas!
That poinsettia looks fluorescent!
One of your lovely cards arrived today from your folks. Very nice!

Thanks for always commenting.
To answer your questions:
--No, I've never made Kayla's dance outfits, I only pay for them!
--I have never thought of collecting doves, it just happened. I've been given quite a few.

Take care. Don't overdo!

Darla said...

beautiful Christmas cards! and it's nice to meet you Elizabeth, i am excited for the next year of 365too, i can't imagine not doing this. hope to get to know you better through that. :D

Kim said...

It really is better to do what the doctor says first time around and take it easy...just ask Ivan who ended up having rotator cuff surgery twice because he overdid things the first time :-( You take care of yourself girl! I'm sure you're hearing that from your mom, your sister and all the other relatives too :-) I'd say we're like a bunch of mother hens, but after reading about how stupid chickens can be, maybe that's not a good analogy. lol

Lovely cards! Glad there is something you can do to keep yourself occupied so you don't go stir-crazy :-) Reading any good books too? I'm looking forward to Tina bringing me a couple.

Have a great week and TAKE IT EASY.

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

Maureen - looking forward to seeing you guys too! Thanks for reminding me of the weather difference. I need to make sure to pack the right clothes.
Aunt Rita - we do eat chicken (we buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts from the Tsyon plant) Our chickens can only be used in soups and such. It is time for some of our older hens to meet the freezer. We have 40 hens, 2 roosters and 2 chickens (Dumplin' and Crispy) who are too young for us to tell if they are roosters or hens. Right now we only get an average of 6 eggs a day. Now 23 of the hens aren't old enough yet to be laying eggs (hopefully next month) but we still have 17 who are and we are only getting 6... so as you can see... some need to go to the freezer.
Darla - I am also looking forward to getting to you know you better through next years 365 project!
Aunt Kim - The computer really helps with me not going stir-crazy. I haven't read any new books but I have found several new blogs that I am really excited about.

Spreading the Word & Chickens Everywhere

  Sorry this post is late but better late than never.   Last year we decided to reach out to one of the missionaries we support when it cam...