Monday, January 25, 2010

Beans...Beans...Beans

Several years ago, in an attempt to live more frugally, we bought lots and lots of beans. I have used beans but not at the rate I thought I would. I recently found this bucket, brand new, never opened, sitting in the basement. I decided I better open it and cook some up.

Well the first batch I wasn't paying much attention to and I didn't even think about it, I cooked it for a few hours and then drained the water, added chicken broth and other seasonings and made a soup. I have no idea what I was thinking. I would normally check the beans to see if they were soft but for some reason that day I didn't. So the beans in that soup weren't real hard but they weren't nice and soft like we like them.

So I tried it again. This time making sure to pay close attention to the softness of the beans. Do you believe that it took ALL DAY to get them nice and soft. Is this normal? I never noticed beans taking me that long before. Could these beans just be too old? Can beans ever get so old that you can't cook them enough to make them soft?

Anyone out there know? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

6 comments:

sara said...

I don't know if they can get too old..I wouldn't think so. But I always soak mine over night and then cook them the next day. you might try that.

riTa Koch said...

I think you're supposed to soak bean overnight BEFORE cooking. Your mom would know. I'll ask Stephan tonight.

~*~ Allison ~*~ said...

I've never used dried beans, but I do believe you have to soak them overnight first THEN you can use them.

Lesson learned. :)

Oldfangled said...

Yes, soak them overnight. Drain them, and then cook them in broth or whatever you're using. You will still need to cook them for several hours.
Karen.

Oldfangled said...

Yes, soak them overnight. Drain them, and then cook them in broth or whatever you're using. You will still need to cook them for several hours.
Karen.

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

I will be sure to soak them in the future but I know that have cooked beans before without cooking them... so I don't know what is going on with these beans but I will try it again... thanks everyone for your advice!

Spreading the Word & Chickens Everywhere

  Sorry this post is late but better late than never.   Last year we decided to reach out to one of the missionaries we support when it cam...