Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Spicy Brussels Sprouts with Fried Capers

In trying to eat healthier I have introduced Brussels sprouts to our diet and I must say I really like them - to me they taste like little cabbages. Try this recipe out and let me know what you think.
Spicy Brussels Sprouts with Fried Capers
2 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
1/2 cup drained brined capers
1/3 cup EVOO (I used much less because I used my non stick pan)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 to 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 lemon
  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add Brussels sprouts and cook just until tender and bright green, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, blot capers on a paper towel. Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add capers and cook, stirring carefully (mixture will splatter), until capers start to open and are brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer capers to a paper towel to drain.
  3. Add garlic to pan and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add Brussels sprouts and red pepper flakes and stir to coat with oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with capers and a squeeze of lemon.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

This looks wonderful. I will try it very soon

riTa Koch said...

What are capers and where on earth do you get them?

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

Aunt Rita - Capers are the unripened flower buds of Capparis spinosa, a prickly, perennial plant which is native to the Mediterranean and some parts of Asia.

I think I found them near the olives or pickles at the grocery store.

Spreading the Word & Chickens Everywhere

  Sorry this post is late but better late than never.   Last year we decided to reach out to one of the missionaries we support when it cam...