Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Organization Process

I was reading a post from I'm an Organizing Junkie that I wanted to share because I think it is great and I want to refer back to it often as I tackle jobs around the house. Here is a link to her complete post in case you are interested in reading her entire article.

I have created a simple acronym to allow you to break down your organizing project into simple, straightforward steps that will help you achieve optimal organizing results. The acronym is appropriately called PROCESS because organizing is not a means to an end but an ongoing process.

Here are my PROCESS steps:
Plan of attack – plan your project - which area(s) do you want to address - make a list - evaluate present system, what is working, what isn’t working, devise new system - determine budget - develop timeline
Remove items – start from a clean slate - empty the space completely - remove then sort & purge
Organize into piles – donate/toss/sell/keep/relocate - sort like with like - purge excess - the more you purge the less you have to find a home
Containerize – find storage solutions - containers establish limits and boundaries - designate a space for items being kept - consolidate
Evaluate plan – how is your system working for you - are you able to work your system? What needs to be modified? A good system should be easy to maintain
Solve/simplify anything that isn’t working for you - revise accordingly
Smile, relax and enjoy your hard work!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

That is kind of what I am doing! I have been going through everything and only keeping the absolute necessary! I have such a slew of things that it will not hurt to get rid of stuff!

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

There is so much I need to go through with this Process... it is amazing how much stuff gets piled up in a year. I have several projects going right now but I need to work on getting them done and not moving onto the next one until they are done. :-)

Kim said...

Good acronym! If only I can remember to spell process in English. These days everything gets translated into Spanish without even thinking about it. But maybe I can come up with something that works with proceso :-)

Spreading the Word & Chickens Everywhere

  Sorry this post is late but better late than never.   Last year we decided to reach out to one of the missionaries we support when it cam...